Leicester's Chinese New Year celebrations 2021
Celebrate the dawning of the Year of the Ox with a range of exciting free events online.
We proudly present a whole day of traditional Chinese New Year performances, plus interactive cultural arts activities for children and an exclusive documentary screening about the Chinese community in Leicester.
This year we are proud to announce that De Montfort University are our sponsors and have helped support these events happening under really challenging times, the Chinese community and Cosmopolitan Arts are extremely grateful for their help and wish to thank them.
All of these online, family friendly events are free, so come along to celebrate the Year of the Ox with the East Asian community, learn about their beautiful and fascinating culture, it promises to be a great season of celebrations.
Saturday 13th February 12pm - 1.30pm
Chinese New Year performance showcase
(live on Youtube, Facebook & Twitch)
We have many prestigious artists based in the UK and China, performing for this our New Year’s main event:
• Yiu Yan, an actor from Sichuan Opera House, will perform the breath-taking and famous ‘Face Changing Dance’.
• Yang Xiao Zhong is a professor and the head of Composition department in Sichuan Music Conservatoire, Sichuan China, will perform traditional Chinese music.
• Shi-Qi is a singer from Sichuan Conservatoire in China and has won many awards for her singing. She will be showcasing her skills with a winning performance.
• Yu-Wei, a Chinese pop star and the founder of BaiYaZi music and teaching studio, will bring a modern musical edge to the event.
• Sai Wang Lau, a London based, ‘Dutch Chinese Broadsword (Dao 刀) Champion’, who has featured in many Kung Fu films, will deliver a breath-taking performance.
• Spoken word from Daniel York Loh, a UK based actor, director and writer, who has appeared at the RSC, National Theatre, Donmar Warehouse and The Shadow Factory at Southampton Nuffield, will be performing some profound poetry.
• RuiJun Hu is a UK based artist and musician, who has performed his live art calligraphy performance in many prestige’s venues within the UK, including the ‘British Museum’, will entertain the audience with his fantastic skills.
• Jasmine Chiu is a UK based dancer, artist, actor, and writer, who works in UK, Canada and US. Notably she has worked with: Wayne McGregor, Akram Khan, English National Ballet, and appeared in Anthea Hamilton’s Tate Britain Commission, The Squash. Jasmine has choreographed a beautiful dance piece specifically for this event.
• Traditional music from Ling Peng, a UK based Chinese musician and art performer, who has been playing the Erhu since the age of 7, works both in the UK and Europe, performing at venues such as the Globe Theatre and Purcell in London.
• Euphoria, a London based traditional Chinese instrumental band, will showcase a variety of traditional Chinese music styles.
Monday 15th / Tuesday 16th February 2pm – 3pm
Chinese Cultural activities for kids (Zoom)
Exciting Chinese arts workshops for children, with the nationally renowned artist Ling Peng, including storytelling, music, lantern and dragon making. These are invitation only sessions on Zoom, contact us to sign-up and get an invite to attend.
Saturday 20th February 12pm – 1pm
Made In China documentary screening (live on Youtube, Facebook & Twitch)
Premiere online streaming of Cosmopolitan Arts documentary ‘Made in China’, which was created in 2018. Working with the Chinese community in Leicester, the Confucius Institute and Colab Creation, in which we conducted the first ever research into the Chinese community and their migration to Leicester over the past 8 decades, looking at how they settled in Leicester and the ways that the community has changed over time.